Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano
Founded at the beginning of the 4th century by the Emperor Constantine, converted to the Christian religion after the miraculous vision he had during the Battle of Ponte Milvio against Massenzio, the Basilica of St. John Lateran was consecrated by Pope Miltiades in 312. Damaged and rebuilt several times, its actual look dates back to Pope Clement VII (frescoes cycle in the transept) and Pope Innocent X (aisles renovation by Francesco Borromini). The imposing façade has been built on the project by Alessandro Galilei during 1732 and 1735. As Cathedral of the Church of Rome and official seat of the Bishop of Rome, the Pope, the Papal Archbasilica of St. John Lateran is the most important basilica in Rome (more important than the St. Peter Basilica) and the mother church of the whole world, as you can read in the dedication on the façade. Between many important art works conserved inside, we only mention the mannerist decoration of the transept with the golden altar of Santissimo Sacramento, the sequence of the Apostles statues in the nave, the funeral monuments reorganised by Borromini in the lateral aisles and a picture fragment attributed to Giotto. The 13th-century Lateran cloister by Vassellectus and the Cosmati worth a visit too.