S. Agnese in Agone
Along one of the major side of Piazza Navona in Rome we can find the imposing Baroque church built by Francesco Borromini and know as Sant’Agnese in Agone, from the ancient name of Piazza Navona, piazza in agone, that is the site of the competitions (the square has been built over the ruins of the ancient roman Domitian Stadium).
As the facing Fountain of the Four Rivers by Bernini, the church as been commissioned by the Pope Innocenzo X Pamphili too, and it is located in the area where the martyrdom of Saint Agnes happened.
The firsts architect was Carlo Rainaldi, who started the building in 1652; in 1653 he was replaced with Francesco Borromini. The building of the church has lasted for several years, from the 1652 to the 1657.
Borromini is the author of the magnificent Baroque facade, characterized by the typical alternation of concave and convex shapes. Inside, the church shows a Greek cross plan covered by a huge dome. A titbit: the tambour of the dome was connected to the Pamphily family’s palace (that is today housing the Brazilian Embassy), so that the Pope could assist to the celebrations in private from his apartments.