Which restaurants are open during the December holidays?
There’s a misconception that Rome (and Italy at large) turns into a wasteland during the holidays, no matter when said holidays are – it is repeated when the month of August begins, in Easter, before May Day and again right now, at the end of the year.
This was probably truer in the 1950s or 1960s, but contemporary Rome thrives much more on tourism now than in past decades, and shutting down for an extended time would be counterproductive (or, absolutely insane).
While it’s true that most mom-and-pop places (this doesn’t just apply to restaurants!) will have shorter opening hours or will even close for a couple of days (usually between Dec. 24th and 25th) to allow the owners to be with their families, you won’t have any particular inconveniences, excluding the possibility of not finding a free table… These places will be packed!
Many tourism-centered websites as well as specialised blogs will have a comprehensive list of restaurants that will stay open during the upcoming Christmas holidays, so you’re encouraged to try and google about this subject to have even more suggestions. In the meantime, these are some of the places that From Home to Rome recommends at this time of the year:
- Il Corallo – Via Del Corallo, 10 – ph. +39 06 68307703. Will be open between Dec. 24th-26th, and again on December 31st and January 1st.
- Renato e Luisa – Via dei Barbieri, 25 – ph. +39 06 6869660. Will be closed on major holidays but will remain open between Dec. 27th and Dec. 31st.
- Osteria delle Commari – Via Santamaura, 43-45-47 – ph. +39 06 39729557. Will be open on Dec. 24th, on Dec. 25th (only at lunch), again on Dec. 31st and January 1st (only at lunch).
- Sofia – Via di Capo le Case 51 – E-mail: email@example.com – ph.: +39 06 89873857. Will be open on Dec. 24th (only at lunch), on Dec. 26th and again on Dec. 31st.
- Ristorante All’Oro – Via del Vantaggio 14 – ph. +39 06 97996907. Will be open between Dec. 24th-26th, and again on December 31st and January 1st.
- Flavio al Velavevodetto – the main branch of this popular restaurant (on Via di Monte Testaccio, 97 – ph.+39 06 5744194) will only be open for lunch between Dec. 24th and Dec. 26th, while it will offer a full service on December 31st and January 1st.
- Da Francesco – Piazza del Fico 29 -ph.+39 06 6864009. Will be open between Dec. 24th-26th, and again on December 31st and January 1st.
A major recommendation at this time: for those meaning to enjoy a meal in one of the mentioned restaurants, or any other that might be open, make sure you reserve ahead of time!