House of the Knights of Rhodes
The House of the Knights of Rhodes is a rare and little known architectural jewel of Rome. It dates back to the 12th century, when a pre-existent medieval castle was bought by the Order of the Knights of St John of Jerusalem, better known as the Knights of Malta. The present aspect is due to some XVI century refurbishments, ordered by Cardinal Pietro Barbo, nephew of the Pope Paul II and administrator of the priorate. He decided to restore and embellish the House between 1476 and 1470, in the same period of the building of Palazzo Venezia, and probably the same workers were used. The Loggia faces into one of the Imperial Fora, the Forum of Augustus inaugurated in 2AD; because of the continual exposure to the air pollution, the fresco decoration, ascribed to the Mantegna school, is very bad preserved.