Fountains in Piazza Farnese
Close to Piazza Campo de’ Fiori we find Piazza Farnese, a beautiful and elegant square overlooked by the imposing Palazzo Farnese, seat of the French Ambassy in Rome. On the two sides, the square is decorated by two symmetrical Egyptian granite fountains, realised by the Italian architect Girolamo Rainaldi on commission of the Farnese family, lords of the area. It seems that the two marble basins have been brought in their actual location in different moments: the basin coming from Caracalla Baths in Rome arrived in Piazza Farnese in 1545, when the square was paved; while the other one was taken from Piazza San Marco (close to Piazza Venezia in Rome) later, at the end of the 16th century. They have been converted into two fountains only in 1626 by Girolamo Rainaldi, who decorated them with lilies, coat of arms of the Farnese family.